Sunday, May 15, 2011

Skirts!!!!

Who can resist a sweet little curly haired girl in a ruffly skirt? Not me.
This is about as good as it gets when trying to photograph an almost 3 yr old.
I've been thinking for a while that I need to be taking advantage of the fact that Allie wants nothing else but to wear/use/carry around everything that I sew. Some day she won't want me to make her clothes... but that time is not now!

I've been lusting after a lot of cute little skirts (pinterest board here with examples). Although I've already made one of these Market Skirts (tutorial from Dana at Made... I blogged mine here and here) I was still a little intimidated. Here's the thing. I sorta went with a cross between this (simple skirt, also from Dana at Made) and this (Hickety Pickety Handmade). Truthfully my hybrid is just the market skirt minus the contrasting top band, and minus the extra ruffle in the hem.
Doing yoga? I think that's what she was trying.
I used two fat quarters to make the first one... yep a skirt out of two FQ's! I got the FQ's from a CMQG friend Emily (thanks Emily)! It came together really nicely... although I regret not doing french seams on it. I did zig-zag finish the edges... but I don't think it'll be enough to make it really look nice.
Coloring on the floor with Mamaw Linda.
For the second skirt (yeah I couldn't resist) I used some floral fabric that I bought on a whim last year -- knowing I wanted to make a skirt or dress for Allie with it... I even had the foresight to buy some brown to match it! This one I did a bit like the pillowcase tutorial from Film In the Fridge. Funny how I made a skirt based on a pillow tutorial? Well it left me with no raw edges at all! I love it! And thinking about those pillowcases I think ric-rac would be really cute peeking out of that bottom hem of the skirt!

We'll see if I can get some pictures of the kid in the skirts tomorrow... she's definitely wearing the one to church... I found a (clean) purple shirt that matches it pretty well too. :)

Can I join the party late? These skirts were made the evening of the 14th. :)

2 comments:

  1. Cute...wish my daughter would even *put on* something I've made for her! I like the little half-handstand she was trying to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh super cute! I love all of the action shots

    ReplyDelete