Monday, January 3, 2011

Tutorial/Recipe: Yummy Pita Chips

MMM... almost a tutorial for you guys!

Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips.
What you need:
  • Pitas that are nearly past their prime (ok they could be fresh but it feels thriftier to use ones that otherwise wouldn't be eaten
  • Butter/margarine/substitute (I use Brummel & Browns because it's yummy)
  • Cinnamon and sugar mixed (I used a ratio of about 1/4C. sugar to 1-2 tbsp. cinnamon - didn't use it all obviously!)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. While your oven is heating line a cake pan or cookie sheet  with foil (this helps in cleanup but is essentially unnecesary), and split the pita bread into two layers (if using pocket type pitas).
  3. Apply a thin layer of butter type substance to the rough inside side of your pitas. You can do this by melting it and using a pastry brush if you'd like. The Brummel & Browns I use is pretty soft so I just use a butter knife.
  4. Sprinkle the buttered side with cinnamon sugar and cut into quarters (or smaller if you prefer).
  5. Lay butter side up on pan.
  6. Bake for 10 - 15 min, until edges are getting nice and toasty brown and the middles are crispy (this time will vary depending on the amount of butter used). 
  7. Remove from oven and enjoy!!! 
I made these last night using Oregano (1 tsp.), garlic powder (1/8 tsp.), and onion powder (1/8 tsp.) roughly... they were great too. I would probably add a tad bit of sea salt next time to the savory ones. 

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. These sound delicious! I think I might make some of the savory ones...then I could add a tiny bit of goat cheese while I am eating them :-)

    ReplyDelete